Z-Man Slim Swimz 2.5" MIDNIGHT OIL 8pkRegular price $13.99
Everyone knows now that soft-baits can be particularly effective on a wide range of fish species in New Zealand, but just one brand, Z-Man, is becoming the primary choice for most serious soft-plastic anglers. The reasons why are many, including:
- coming in some fantastic colours, sizes and shapes
- providing the best movement when retrieved or left to their own devices in the current
- not needing to be kept in a special solution, so won’t turn into little bits of ‘wood’ and there’s no liquid to leak everywhere
- having a natural buoyancy so they lift tail first when on the bottom and waggle enticingly
- some having ultraviolet-reflective and lumo qualities to make them highly visible in all sorts of conditions, and being the toughest soft-bait available!
The last feature is often the deciding factor for most: anyone fishing in reefy territory will know the frustration of fishing more fragile brands of soft-baits, winding in after one cast to find the lure bitten in half or completely gone; it can get very expensive. No wonder anglers are putting super-durable Z-Mans on instead - it’s usually possible to catch between a dozen and 30 fish per lure!
10X Tough ElaZtech
Z-Man's proprietary ElaZtech material is remarkably soft, pliable, and 10X Tougher than traditional soft plastics. ElaZtech resists nicks, cuts, and tears better than other soft baits and boasts one of the highest fish-per-bait ratings in the industry, resulting in anglers not having to waste time searching for a new bait when the fish are biting. This unique material is also naturally buoyant and floats up off the bottom, creating a more visible, lifelike, and attractive target to gamefish. Unlike most other soft plastic baits, ElaZtech contains no PVC, plastisol or phthalates, and is non-toxic.
- Slim body and unique curved paddle tail delivers irresistable wiggling swimming action
- Ideal for panfish, but super effective when larger fresh- and saltwater gamefish are keyed in on small forage
- Pairs perfectly with Finesse ShroomZ, Trout Eye Finesse, or Finesse EyeZ jigheads for easy and secure rigging
- Available in 2.5" (8 baits per pack)
- Made in the USA
Ensure your Z-Man is correctly rigged on the lead-head. After initially inserting the hook and exiting the belly slit, the lure should then be pulled up against the jig-head and the hook rotated 180 degrees to exit the soft-bait’s ‘back’. The Z-Man should sit nice and straight on the hook; a ‘banana’ shape makes the lure spiral unattractively.
Z-Mans can be cast and retrieved or dragged along behind the drifting boat. Contrary to popular belief, they can be cast around while anchored up or from the shore, too. It usually pays to use the lightest possible leadhead weight that will reach the seafloor. This sees the descending lure hanging in the bite zone for longer and able to be retrieved more slowly and erratically without continually dropping into the weeds or reef and snagging. Success often depends on your ability to identify the casting angles that allow your lightly-weighted lure to get down to the bottom and then be jiggled back with some tension retained throughout. This enables you to be alerted to bites, as the line will jiggle, suddenly slacken, or zip away. Provided the rod is kept lowered and pointing along the line during the descent and after each jiggle on the retrieve, a simple handle wind in response to these ‘line bites’ is enough to tighten nicely to the biting fish or encourage it to bite again. In both instances the rod tip gets pulled downwards by the biting fish, signalling it’s time for you to lift the rod firmly and set the hook. Z-Mans are more effective when Secret Sauce is regularly added: their attractive flavours encourage fish to bite hard and hang onto the imitation for longer, so anglers are more likely to hook up.